SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Behind a raucous crowd of 1,000 strong, No. 20 Augustana volleyball (9-1, 2-0 NSIC) defeated the University of Sioux Falls (6-4, 0-2 NSIC) in four sets 25-20, 25-27, 25-20, 25-20.
The Vikings began the match against the Cougars in a quick, 3-0 hole but found their rhythm and rattled off five quick points. After Augustana had built a five point lead, USF stormed back to make it 13-12 Augustana. Following a timeout the Vikings got back into their groove to extend their lead to five at 20-15. The Vikings held on for a set one 25-20 set one victory.
Augustana looked like it was feeding off their great first set as they jumped out to a 3-1 lead but it didn’t last long. USF tied the match at four before the Vikings eventually made it 12-8. Once again USF was able to cut into the Vikings lead and tie the match at 15. After USF took a 17-15 lead the set went back-and-forth. The Vikings were able to tie the set at 24 but USF would win the set 27-25.
In the third set Augustana got out to a 6-4 lead but USF didn’t go away. With the set tied at 12 USF earned two straight points but Augustana rallied to score seven of the next eight points and take a 19-15 advantage. USF was able to get within three at 21-18 but Augustana was too much earning a 25-20 set three win.
Augustana earned the first point in set four but found themselves in a three point hole at 7-4. The deficit didn’t phase Augustana as they battled to take a 12-10 lead. The Vikings then extended their lead to five but USF was able to cut it to one at 17-16. The Vikings didn’t allow USF to get any closer than one point the rest of the way, earning a 25-20 set four win.
Viking of the Game
Courtney Place was great for the Vikings Saturday night. Place ended the match with 12 kills on 30 attacks for a hitting percentage of .300. She added seven digs, five blocks and a service ace on the night.
• Augustana improved to 9-1 on the season
• Two Vikings had double-digit kills: Ashley Wilson (13), Place (12)
• Augustana had a .333 hitting percentage compared to USF’s .124
• Anna Sykora had 48 assists
• The Vikings had a season-high 14 blocks. Wilson had seven blocks
• 1,098 fans were in attendance Saturday. This was the first time Augustana has played in front of a crowd of over 1,000 since Oct. 14, 2014 against USF
• Augustana is now 23-13 all-time against USF
• With tonight’s win Augustana earns the first point of the 2016-17 Mayor’s Cup
Augustana will be back at home Tuesday, Sept. 20 when they welcome No. 2 Wayne State for a midweek battle.